Call for Applications:
1 PhD student – ERC StG – History of satellite data and climate knowledge
The CLIMASAT Project (Remote-Sensing Satellite Data and the Making of Global Climate in Europe, 1980s-2000s) at the Institut d’Història de la Ciència (iHC) of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB), funded by the European Research Commission (Starting Grant), is seeking:
Dissertation: History of Satellite Data Diplomacy: How Data Regimes and Climate Knowledge were Negotiated in International Organisations
The selected candidate will be employed in the research project CLIMASAT led by Gemma Cirac-Claveras. CLIMASAT explores the origins of current climate discourses, practices, and policies back in the 1980s and 1990s. It places the production, circulation and use of data generated with Earth-orbiting satellites at the center of historical analysis. The goal is to understand how the ways in which satellite data were collectively negotiated, shared, maintained, and used in different areas (science and technology; economy and finances; law and regulation; media and communication; international relations and diplomacy) were co-produced with the form of climate knowledge that we have inherited today.
The selected candidate will be employed to do research and dissemination with no teaching obligations. She/he is expected to take part in the scientific life of the iHC, especially at the meetings, seminars and workshops organized by CLIMASAT’s research team at the iHC and abroad.
– Master’s degree and/or background in: International relations; Political sciences; History; History of science and technology; Environmental history; STS; or related fields.
– Additional training in a relevant area of climate or environmental sciences will be valued.
– Excellent command of English language. Good command of French and/or German will be an asset.
– Ability and commitment to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a research team.
– Availability to travel to conference and fieldwork.
– Ability to create and contribute to a well-functioning, inclusive and productive research environment.
Application deadline: 3 November 2022
– CV (education, previous positions, teaching experience, list of publications) (5 pages max);
– Cover letter (qualifications and motivations for the position) (2 pages max);
– One letter of recommendation.
Please apply by uploading these documents to the UAB platform: https://seleccio.uab.cat
CLIMASAT fosters an inclusive working environment for all and encourages applications regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, nationality and/or disability, particularly where underrepresented in our workforce.
More information: email@example.com