11th ESHS Conference, 4–7 Sept 2024, Barcelona (Spain)
Theme: Science, Technology, Humanity, and the Earth
Call for Abstracts – Symposium
Title: Astronomy and Cosmology in the Iberian Peninsula (1550-1650)
Organizers: Miguel Á. Granada (Universitat de Barcelona), José Chabás (Universitat Pompeu Fabra),
Description: The pandemic prevented from commemorating the centenary of the birth of Jerónimo Muñoz (ca. 1520-1591), surely the most important Spanish astronomer of the 16th century. The celebration of the 11th ESHS Conference in Barcelona in September 2024 may be an excellent occasion to address the state and development of astronomy and cosmology in the Iberian between 1550 and 1650, a subject that has not received all the attention it deserves, both because much of the production has remained in manuscript and also because it is largely written in the vernacular (Castilian and Portuguese).
Topics might include, but are not limited to:
• Institutional setting of astronomy in Spain and Portugal in the period
• Astronomers and their work
• Discussion on the system of the world (heliocentrism, geoheliocentrism) and on celestial novelties (novas and comets)
• Translators: Juan Cedillo Diaz (De revolutionibus), Juan Vélez (Almagest) and others
• Astronomy among the Jesuit Order
• Abstracts should be no more than 300 words and submitted as a Word document.
• Please include a brief biography (ca. 150 words) highlighting your academic background and research interests.
• All submissions should be emailed to
• The deadline for submission is 19 November.
If you have any questions or require further information, please do not hesitate to contact Miguel A. Granada (email@example.com)